Monday, August 22, 2011

How do you use your time?

The title of this post is "How do you use your time?" due to getting my wisdom teeth removed Friday. I have been sitting on the couch and watching movies, tv shows, baseball...etc. Yesterday was a Sunday and there was not a whole lot of anything on tv until the braves game came on. Then after the the braves game was over (and they won) there was not much else on either. I watched some movies found on a variety of channels. After attempting to eat a rice bowl from Moe's the only thing on that was not a re-run was an NFL preseason game. I tried to watch a little of it but there is something about NFL football that seems fake, useless, and selfish. The odd thing is that when it comes to MLB and the Atlanta Braves I have watched almost every single game of the season and love it. NFL seems pointless to me. Maybe it has something to do with MLB playing hundreds of games while NFL only plays maybe 14 games. Another odd thing is that I love to watch college football, preferably SEC, but I may watch some other teams. Maybe due to the fact the college football players are taking classes throughout the week, going to practice, and playing a game a week. MLB players have practice every day that they are playing and basically play 20 days out of each month. Over the past few years while watching parts of the Super Bowl and seeing the team that wins be awarded the trophy it appears so pointless and like they are being given an "idol" to worship. While I am a big MLB/Atlanta Braves game, I have to bring to attention that yes, one MLB team wins the world series each year and are given their own "idol" too. But something about them really getting to know their teammates and running to each other at the end of a come back to a game or when they just realized they won the world series. Yet all the of the gold or silver enlarged football or trophy of flags is worthless. It doesn't matter if you have ever played flag football, nfl football, little league baseball, or mlb when your life on earth comes to an end. All that matters is how you used your time during your life to honor Jesus Christ and to spread the gospel to those around you. I sure do need to remind myself about the truth of life often and not to get wrapped up in the outcome of an athletic season. I am surely not saying that you can not watch NFL or MLB games just don't get overwhelmed if they get every play-by-play just right. I surely will continue watching the braves (and while they have been doing great this season) I will remind myself that neither baseball or football should become an idol in my life. I hope to try to use some time to read throughout the bible instead of watching every inning or quarter through the remaining year.

No comments:

Post a Comment